Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day!
The Senate released their proposed budget today and it is TERRIBLE. They are balancing the budget on the backs of 3 and 4 year old children.
The budget does the following to ECEAP:
- Adds no new slots for 2017-2019.
- Cuts ECEAP by $54.2 million in 2019-21 by eliminating 3 year olds from the program.
Our ask is:
- 2700 full, extended and part-day slots
- 16% cost per child rate increase
- $26 million for facilities
WHAT YOU CAN DO RIGHT NOW!!!
Please contact your state Senator (and representatives!) and let him or her know what a DISASTER this will be for Washington State.
- Call the hotline, 1.800.562.6000. They have Spanish interpreters!
- Send an email: To find out your legislators’ names, type your address into the districtfinder, and click through to find their info.
Messages could include:
- Investments in K-12 will NOT be successful if we don’t also invest in ECEAP. Kids who start behind, stay behind, and ECEAP closes those gaps before they arrive in Kindergarten.
- ECEAP WORKS, which is why the legislature has committed to reaching all children who qualify. This budget does the OPPOSITE.
- (Personalize) We need MORE children in ECEAP. High quality pre-k like ECEAP/HS is important to my child/ren and my family because . . .
- Programs rely on 3 year olds to keep rural classrooms open, and with our very high risk population 2 years of ECEAP is much more effective than one year.
Take action NOW!