Parent Ambassador Application Info
Online Application Link (English and Spanish)
WSA is seeking 20-25 Early Learning parents to serve as Parent Ambassadors for 2020. Ambassadors will serve on the front line of our advocacy campaigns including attending hearings, testifying, contacting lawmakers, setting up events and activities, and organizing Early Learning parents. All expenses for travel to WSA conferences and training venues will be subsidized by WSA. We are looking for parents that are committed to advocating for their children and communities, serve in a leadership role at a local program either through policy council or in another area, and have the desire and demonstrated skills to complete the year-long project. We had terrific success with our 2009 – 2019 Parent Ambassadors, and we look forward to a great 2020!
What is the Parent Ambassador program?
The Parent Ambassadors Program is a peer to peer training program for Early Learning parents. Parent Ambassadors will go through an extensive year long high-quality advocacy training program.
What will Parent Ambassadors learn?
Parents can be expected to learn how to effectively engage parents in their community, leadership skills, the basics of government, about specific pieces of legislation, how to contact their lawmakers, and how to provide effective testimony.
What will Parent Ambassador be expected to do with the training and skills they gain?
After training, Ambassadors will be expected to take what they have learned and educate, train, and mobilize parents back at their local programs and in their communities. Ambassadors will be key communicators and crucial link to their communities. WSA will develop a Parent Newsletter for Ambassadors to use to communicate the latest legislative information and updates. Ambassadors will be expected to provide trainings or teach-backs at parent policy council meetings in their area and will teach parents about pending legislation and general advocacy skills. They will provide frequent updates to parents in their local programs about legislative issues directly affecting their families and strategic opportunities to weigh in with both state and federal elected officials. Ambassadors will also serve as lead organizers for WSA advocacy campaign activities.
What is the length of the Parent Ambassador Program?
One Year, beginning March 2020 and ending in February 2021
What kind of support is needed from a Parent Ambassadors sponsoring program?
- Support Parent Ambassadors by allocating time on Policy Council agendas for them to share their training and give legislative updates. Allow Parent Ambassadors to distribute the Parent Ambassador Newsletters and to gather names and contact info of parents who want to be a part of legislative advocacy.
- Simple and regular check-ins with Parent Ambassadors to see how their training is going
- “Advertise” the Parent Ambassadors as a resource families and staff have access to for center based family gatherings or parent training
- Assist with setting up training or teach-back opportunities, if needed
- Review the Parent Ambassador training manual
- Attend a Parent Ambassador training, if you’d like
- Watch and acknowledge the Parent Ambassadors growth and transformation!
January 10, 2020
2019 Class announced:
January 27, 2020 or earlier
In-person Event #1
March 9-11, Virtual
In-person Event # 2
June 30-July 1, TBD
In-person Event #3
October 21-23, 2020 Wenatchee Red Lion
In-person Event #4
February 23-25, 2020, Hotel RL, Olympia
Parent Ambassadors are required to commit to attending all four of these events, so check your calendars now! Applications are available at the link at the top of the page.
For more information, contact Katy, 425.453.1227.